1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I expect my cochin frizzle bantam to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennie5193, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I am new to chicken raising and I have two cochin frizzle bantams. One's feather's are frizzle, the other one is not. Within the past couple of days (they are 10 weeks old) one of them has started getting a red comb and waddles. I thought that they were both hens because of the lack of red in the combs/waddles - and then I read somewhere that they start to get red in their comb before they lay. Is that correct?
    When do they generally start laying?

2. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    I've got to frizzles in my bunch and went through the exact same guessing game for quite some time. It was early on that I noticed a difference between the two. One frizzled and had a faster growing comb and wattles early on with slightly more color but not much. The other was smooth with a less noticable comb. Turns out the one that frizzled also started to crow, and that was before the hen started to lay, which was much later than my buffs and Americanas. If I remember correctly, it was ~26 weeks for all my girls except the Cochin bantam which was at least a month or two longer. It took FOREVER! I didn't want a rooster, but "Mr. Frizzle" is so cool. I'm glad he caused me all that early worrying:) My kids named the hen "Miss Frizzle". When they the hens start to lay, there combs will get bright red and plump looking. That will fluctuate a bit through the month too. I think I read it has to do with the moons cycle. When they stop laying do to being broody, they also loose the bright color and plumpness. Hope that helps:)

3. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Thanks...

Until a few days ago, their combs have been exactly the same... but I noticed one is getting more red in it... and getting waddles. This may be a goofy question, but did the hen grow waddles too?

The one with the smooth feathers is *beautiful* (I think it is a male - but hope for a hen!) and the frizzle one ... is... well... not. LOL The other hens have been plucking her back feathers and she is bare. I've got them separated until it grows back and then I'll try again.

Do you have any problems with the other chickens trying to pluck your frizzle?

4. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Yes, the hens will get waddles too, but they are smaller. My chickens are about eleven months now, and I haven't had any feather picking until recently. Mr. Frizzle looks like he has a mohawk with all the feathers on the sides of his neck missing. If I didn't catch my Americana picking at his feathers on two occasions I wouldn't have guessed that was what was happening. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it. I didn't think roosters got picked at except by other roosters. I'm learning as I go as well:) What are they being kept in? Do they have plenty of room? It may be time for a little more space.

5. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Naughty Americana! I can imagine that to be a sad lookin' little birdy! [​IMG]

I didn't have this problem with "Frizzle Chick" (we're holding off on a name until we know the gender!) before a week ago when I introduced some new hens to my flock, they're the ones that go after it. I think since the feathers "stick out" the other chickens think they're doing it a favor by pulling them - or it just aggrivates them to see!

The over-crowding was definately a problem that thankfully was solved yesterday. I have a large coop and a decent sized run, but because of my over-abundance of cockerels (11 to be exact) - the birds were probably a bit stressed. Now, "it" is in a tractor with the other frizzle chick and they are just as happy to be out of the pen with the "big guys" (the rest of the chickens are standard/large breed). They go back in the coop at night (after the others are asleep), but during the day the two of them enjoy a 12 sq ft tractor and all the food/water/grass they want. I won't be putting them back in the run anytime soon, though.

Just pecking your brain a little [​IMG] you don't happen to remember when you 1st saw waddles on 'em do you? [​IMG] (I have to ask... the suspence is unbearable!

6. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    I'll have to look back in my pics. I should have taken notes through it all, but I thnk I was too busy asking questions:) I do remember that it was pretty early that we had the sneaking feeling we had a rooster, even though it wasn't real clear cut. And our gut was right! I'll check those pics tonight for you. I also need to try my first attempt to post a pic. You'd get a kick out of. "Mr. Frizzle" and his bad hair day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by