When can I expect my first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urban-chick-mom, Aug 4, 2011.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My girls are 17 weeks old. I have a White Leghorn, Buff Orpington and a New Hampshire Red. When could I expect my first egg? I have the nesting boxes blocked off right now because they were sleeping in them. I was wondering when I should remove the blockage to allow them to go in the nesting boxes. Thanks for any suggestions to the newbie!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Although some start earlier and some start later, I usually start looking for eggs sometime around/after the 20 week mark. When you notice the combs/wattles starting to get larger and redder, and/or the girls start squatting for you when you approach them, you will know they are getting very close. If you notice either of these things happen, you could unblock the nest boxes at that time.

3. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Quote:Thanks! I have noticed the BO's comb and wattle is turning redder. I will keep my eye out for any squatting when I approach them. That is very interesting that they would do that.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:my white leghorns started laying at 18 weeks and they all were laying by week 20, buff orps iv had some of them start around 24-30 weeks same with nh reds.

5. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Quote:my white leghorns started laying at 18 weeks and they all were laying by week 20, buff orps iv had some of them start around 24-30 weeks same with nh reds.

Yea! I can't wait for my first egg from my chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by