When can I expect my goose to go broody?

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I have a roman tufted goose, a little less than a year old, and she started laying about a week and a half ago. She's laid eight eggs so far, possibly nine as I forgot to check yesterday. I often catch her in the coop fussing with the nest, pulling bedding in and sitting on the eggs. Problem is, I have no gander, and no other geese actually, although I have a buff gosling coming next week, bought especially to be her friend. Anyway, I'm thinking that I want to let her hatch, so I want to buy hatching eggs. I'm wondering when I can expect her to go broody so I have rough idea of when to expect to have to buy eggs.

Bonus, pictures of the little monster:

Thanks! I guess she feels she has a full clutch because she is now glued to her nest. Guess I better find some eggs!

Will do! I think I'll start the eggs inside since it's so cold out that even her getting up just once a day to eat and drink could let the eggs cool down too much. I got two frozen chicken eggs this morning. After it warms up so it's at least above freezing I'll swap them out with her infertile ones.

Will do! I think I'll start the eggs inside since it's so cold out that even her getting up just once a day to eat and drink could let the eggs cool down too much. I got two frozen chicken eggs this morning. After it warms up so it's at least above freezing I'll swap them out with her infertile ones.
Sounds like a good plan then you won't lose them from the cold weather.

Realise that a lot of first year geese don't set all the way through or hatch babies.... none of mine did, 3 different breeds, but usually do the second year and are supposed to get better with time.

Realise that a lot of first year geese don't set all the way through or hatch babies.... none of  mine did, 3 different breeds, but  usually do the second year and are supposed to get better with time.

That's okay. If she doesn't finish it, hopefully I'll be able to and then I'll have my own babies :love

So my eggs should ship tomorrow and I've decided, on the advice that she may not sit all the way through, combined with the fact that these are coming almost a week after she started sitting, to incubate them myself all the way through until lockdown. If she is still sitting at that point, I will give them to her.

I have a quick question about misting the eggs. Do you mist them when you take them out for cooling, or do you mist them after they're done cooling and you're putting them back in the incubator? These will also be shipped eggs, so I'm wondering if it is best to incubate them vertically, as I would with shipped chicken eggs, or if they'll fair better on their sides.

Back
Top Bottom