When can I expect spurs

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SuperPeacockman, Apr 11, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I was wondering when the my white chicks will start growing spurs. I want know when I can sex them. For some reason I cannot remember from the other two males I raised.

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    You already have 2011 chicks now? Aw man I really hope I can say I have chicks this year!

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    No 2010 chicks they are under one year so they are still peachicks. They were born in July I think. All my chicks seem kind of small this year, I am feeding them cracked corn does that have not enough nutrients. I am probably just paranoid.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I'm no expert on pea's but, they need about 20% protein by this stage and cracked corn is 8% at best. My June 2010 cock has spurs. It does not have enough to keep anything healthy for too long.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  5. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:x2

They need much more than just corn. Give them 20% minimum as young birds. The low protein if that is all they have had may have stunted them. For the whites usually about a year unless your real good at it. They can be DNA sexed for a small fee.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    5 of my Peas were hatched out in August & september of 2010 and 3 of the hens and 1 peacock have spur bumps .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by