When can I expect to see the chicks roaming?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carli, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    We just had two hatch in the last 24 hours. They're with their mama in an outdoor brooder. I read that even at very low temps, chicks can be seen 'playing' out from under mama for short periods of time. Just curious when they will get a bit adventurous?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've never had chicks hatch under a broody, but I know here at home they get pretty adventurous after the first 48 hours. Under a broody they might wait until she starts moving around.

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    You may see them as early as Sunday. Even if they don't run far, they'll peep out through her feathers. By Monday, Tuesday, they'll boldly go where no chicks have gone before.

We had a cold spring last year and even when it was in the high 30s, low 40s, the several day old chicks would run all over the place. Run, play, run back to mom to warm up, run, play, repeat...

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    As soon as my broody hatched all that were going to hatch and she took care of what was left [​IMG] is when she started getting up and scratching around and wanted to be let out the coop. So I'd say the first one hatched on a Friday they last on Sunday or early Monday and by Tuesday she was gearing to get out and the babies were right there with her. We had one morning that it got down in the low 20's and when I opened the coop it was 28 and the babies were running around like it was nothing too it!! [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually mama keeps them under her for 24 hours or a bit longer. Remember they survive on the yolk for 72 hours. Then she'll leave any unhatched eggs and start teaching them to eat and drink. Mine were running all over the coop at one week, all day long, going under mama at night only. This is a large, breezy coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by