1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when can I feed table scraps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamahubb, May 18, 2009.

1. mamahubb

mamahubb New Egg

May 18, 2009
    ga
    I have 2 week old chicks and they are growing well and beginning to try to fly. When can I start feeding them left over fruits and vegetable scraps? I've looked for this information in my chicken books and can't find it. Right now, they are eating chick start and grit.

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I'm one of the latter. I don't feed treats and muddy up their ration until they get feathered out. Oh, some green feed, like shredded grass or cabbage wont hurt them once a day after the 2nd week.
    But that is fed in a certain way, to derive the most benefit from it.

And some will say, "Well...they get all sorts of things when they forage..." But that isn't quite true. They are particular eaters and go for seeds, insects/carrion and green feeds/veggies almost exclusively. Often it is seasonal, and they take what is prevalent in that regard.

So, I would recommend you stick to certain things and refrain from cramming them full of dietary miscellany.

When you do feed green feeds and scrap mash, do it with a plan and make it suit you... not just to "be nice."

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    When I feed treats to chicks it's always high nutrition stuff. Crushed cheerios, scrambled egg, and that kind of stuff. If I have scraps I think will be tasty and good for them they get a bit of that to. I gave mine an apple core yesterday and the big chicks went crazy for it.

5. mamahubb

mamahubb New Egg

May 18, 2009
    ga
    So, there doesn't seem to be a standard as to when? I don't plan to make it their primary food source as chicks I just haven't been able to find out when their little bodies can handle it.

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I gave mine their 1st treat when they were under 1week old, scrambled eggs. I've continued to give them a treat about once a week. They need their starter feed for all the good things it has in it for their systems, so you don't want to fill them up with treats and they won't eat their essential food! Remember when giving them treats they will also need grit.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Oh, there is indeed a standard. But you don't hear it mentioned as much here at BYC. After all, there are so many yummy treats to feed our birds! [​IMG]

But here it is, anyway: Feed only chick feed and measured amounts of green feeds, like this:

First 3 days - NO FEED. Only water.
    Day 4-7 - Chopped cooked egg, mixed with fine oats and dried, crumbled cornbread, wheat bread, etc.
    Day 8-10- Begin weaning onto chick feeds
    Day 10 onward - Chick grower/starter feed free choice and a midday "treat" of green feeds: cabbage, kale, greens of all kinds, grass, dandelion leaves, etc., all chopped fine and what they will eat within 10 minutes or so. A little goes a long way for chicks, so go easy.

After 8 weeks shift them to grower ration, then to complete layer ration by weeks 16-20. Continue the moderate midday greens feeding as part of their regular diet. As long as you stick to ration feeds and greens, grit will not be a neccessity.

As soon as you start feeding grain, scratch and seeds of any kind, it will be needed. If they are not on dirt nor have access to it, and you are feeding these things, give them a small dish of grit: fine pebbles, finely crushed mortar rubble, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many more things that can be fed, like table scraps, garden trimmings, Cheerios etc. But to make it simple, it's best to stick to the basics until they are out and about in the world...

PS. Greens should be hung/suspended so the birds get exercise jumping and springing to get at them. Not too high, but not easy pickins', you know?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  8. mamahubb

mamahubb New Egg

May 18, 2009
    ga
    Thank you so much for this response. I'm a time line person and this is exactly what I was looking for.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Glad to be of help. Like I said, in the face of all the yummy goodies we could feed our chicks, my drumbeat is pretty boring.

It wont be long before someone will say I'm full of hot air and tell about all the delectables they feed their chicks. There'll be lots of fruit and veggies mentioned, the usual cereals and yogurt and if we're lucky, maybe even old fish or lasagna will be mentioned- you'll see some interesting things.

So don't be too hasty... there's more to come.

10. mamahubb

mamahubb New Egg

May 18, 2009
    ga
    Can't wait. We are smitten and the experience my kids are having with it is just wonderful to watch. We are homeschoolers and my daughter spent her night reading EXACTLY what they can eat from the link asking all kinds of questions and what they can't eat and she has made a list for all of us. So much to learn and being so excited is just beautiful. I look so forward to the journey of learning and getting to know our chickens and to the insights offered to us here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by