1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I freerange my peacock?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kathleengp, Jun 25, 2011.

1. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I bought a 1 1/2 year old peacock at a poultry show 3 weeks ago. He has been handled several times (not really happily on his part but at least successfully - lol) but has been quarantined either in a cage in my barn or freely roaming my barn depending on weather and if I have the barn door open or closed.

So for 3 weeks - nothing but in the barn for him. I was wondering if that's long enough to let him out of his pen in the barn with the barn door OPEN? So he could spend some time outside.....?

What do you think? Will that work or will I never see him again? Should I clip his wings first?

Thanks!

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I would wait another 3 weeks to be sure. Do you have other birds he can run with? DO NOT clip his wings! That would make him a sitting duck for predators with no way to escape danger.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Welcome to the pea world [​IMG]

ColbyNTX is right wait another 3 weeks.
    I raised some up and turned them loose at 4 months of age,later on i bought an older pair and turned them loose after 6 weeks and they are doing fine.
    Be aware that they will range along ways so being away from high traffic areas will be a challenge if you don't have alot of land, mine are ranging about 50 acres of mine so far and there are times i don't know where they are which can be stressful when they don't show up on time for their treats.
    I see ya have other birds so with just one Pea it may not range as far by itself.

Good luck and post some pics of your pretty if ya can [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I kept mine in the barn for 6-8 weeks before opening the door and letting them out. I have had them almost a year now. with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by