When can I give chicks yogurt/treats?

Gelo75

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
California
How old do chicks have to be to eat the plain yogurt? I heard it helps their stomaches. And also when and what kind of treats can I give to chicks? Thanks for your help

Last edited:
You can give them yogurt as soon as they start eating. You can make a mash with some chick starter and yogurt as a treat. Make small batches of it so it doesn't sit at 95*. It can help with pasty butt.

Last edited:
Our chicks love the freeze dried meal worms. When they are little (like a week old) we crunch them up a bit, and once they get the hang of them we feed them whole. We find it a really good way to get them friendly and come to you when you put your hand in the brooder. They go crazy for them. We find that with the freeze dried ones you don't need grit, but with live ones you do.

Happy chick keeping!

Our chicks love the freeze dried meal worms. When they are little (like a week old) we crunch them up a bit, and once they get the hang of them we feed them whole. We find it a really good way to get them friendly and come to you when you put your hand in the brooder. They go crazy for them. We find that with the freeze dried ones you don't need grit, but with live ones you do.

Happy chick keeping!
I know I'm going to sound a little stupid here, but what is grit? Is it something you get at the feed store? I'm imagining a grain but I can't imagine how you would mix it with worms.

I know I'm going to sound a little stupid here, but what is grit? Is it something you get at the feed store? I'm imagining a grain but I can't imagine how you would mix it with worms.

Not stupid at all - I couldn't figure out the grit thing either. Grit is ground up rocks essentially - the chickens store it in their gizzards to help them "chew" food since they don't have teeth. You can get chick grit at the feed store usually - when mine were in the brooder before they had access to the outside full time I would mix some right in with their food. I think you can also leave a bowl of out of it, but mine always ignored it as chicks. Now that they are outside full time I offer grit in a bowl and sometimes they peck at it - some people mix it with treats, some mix it with food.

thanks.

Of course, my 7 year old hears me asking my husband if he knows about this and she says, "It's like little rocks they need in their bellies." Not too far off.

Back
Top Bottom