When can I give my babies treats? Swim? Ect.?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Madelennon, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Madelennon

Madelennon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Haslet,Texas
    Hi all!!!! I am new to the forum and a new duck momma too!!! I have Stoney's book on raising ducks, and have done research, but nothing compares with first hand experience from all of you! :) I got 8 runner ducklings on March 6th, and was wondering when I can start giving them treats? Should I just stick to regular crumbles until a certain age? Also, when is it safe to let them take a little dip? They are currently residing in my bathtub, and I am in no hurry to let them swim, but I didn't know if there was a set age? Or I didn't want to wait too long? Is that a thing? Haha!!! I had poultry growing up, but had never had ducks. They are awesome! I already love them so much more than chickens!!! TIA!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC and Congrats on your new babies.. read this link it has great info on raising and caring for ducklings
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Treats are fine as long as you offer chick grit they cannot chew with out it but if just feeding their starter crumble you don't need to offer it, grit should be placed in its own dish close to where they eat.

Swimming is fine as long as you can keep them warm and take them out as soon as finished pat dry and straight back under heat lamp. Start out with water just to top of legs first time then deeper till they can swim and dive but always be with them they can tire easily and since they aren't water proof yet can get water logged and drown.

Be sure to post pics of your littles we'd love to see them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  3. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    I let my ducklings swim at just a couple of days old, just make sure the water is warm enough for a baby..but not too warm! And the first time or two just deep enough that they can still touch the bottom...NEVER leave them alone while swimming! It only takes a minute for a tired baby to drown!
    :(

Let them 'swim' for about 5 mins, then dry them off and get them into the warm brooder. As far as treats go I usually wait for them to be a week old before they get treats. But then try some romaine lettuce, peas (without the skin, or smashed), cooked bits of carrot, etc. just make sure they have some grit to help them digest it! After a while they love to 'dive' for defrosted peas during their swims!
    I hope this helps! ;)

[​IMG]

4. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome!! [​IMG] And, welcome to the wonderful world of duck parenting! Its such a rewarding experience. :D

We let our babies start "swimming" at about a week old in nice warm water. It was more of a hot tub for them, to the point that they fell asleep in it. Then we would take a hair dryer and fluff them with that (not too hot of course, always keep your hand near them to judge the heat). They are now a month old and STILL expect the salon treatment when they get done with their baths.
    As for treats, we started giving them tiny live mealworms, kale and lettuce (finely shredded) as soon as a week. Always watch them closely when youre giving them new food.

And as Miss Lydia said, lets see the little fluffballs!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    P.S. don't forget to give them niacin!
    I had my babies in a kiddy pool inside my home (living room) they had a hay filled basket a heat lamp their food, water & I would put a tub of lukewarm water in there every othetpr day or so. I started this about 1 week old. Then added the greens to t/water & boy watch the cute fun. They would go under the heat lamp & clean & dry themselves. I love my runners
    I can get my video to load, I will try to add it to my profile page, check out my profile page for a video of my runners having pool time!

6. PekinDiaries

Oh goodness! Thank you CyndiD! I completely forgot that!
    about 150mg of niacin per gallon is a good amount to put in. They sell niacin capsules at walgreens, 500mg capsules. I just open it up and throw a third into their water. This is VERY important! It is absolutely essential for their growth for the first 8 weeks.

7. Madelennon

Madelennon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Haslet,Texas
    Thanks guys!!!! Yes, ducks are so different from other poultry!!! We are really enjoying them!! I will try & get a picture today!! I gave them some lettuce chopped in water today & they loved loved loved it!!!!!

8. PekinDiaries

Lettuce seems to be super popular in the duck world. Ours cant seem to get enough of it! We go through 2 bunches of Kale per week! And yes, they ARE quite different from poultry. I've raised chickens before and they are a breeze compared to ducks. But it is a very rewarding challenge. Seeing them grow and learn and develop their own unique personalities is an amazing thing. Best of luck!

-Vanessa & Ryan

9. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    I put their niacin straight into their dry food. FYI

10. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    I just placed my baby duck order w/Mwtzer Farms!! YA I AM SOOOO EXCITED!! April 20th!!
    :weee. :ya

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by