1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by halo, Jul 21, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am just dying to start incubating my own eggs from my own flock. Im just starting to get some pullet eggs, seems like I have 3 little girls that just started laying. At what point can I put some of them in the incubator? The eggs are pretty tiny right now, so Im sure now isnt a good time, but whats a good rule of thumb on this? Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hard to say since every bird matures a bit differently. I usually wait till I get "large" eggs if it is a standard. Or about 2 months into regular laying or so.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would just collect a dozen or so and put them in right now.

Last year I had a 5 month old hen go broody and she hatched 3 chicks.

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I usually wait at least a month so her reproductive system can work the kinks out. Sometimes new layers will have eggs with blood or meat spots and that will keep them from hatching. It also allows plenty of time for fertilization.

5. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    how old are they?

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are right at 5 months old...pretty young.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The eggs should be fine to incubate.

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I sent Cyn pullet eggs from Blue boy when they first started laying and she got Suede from them. The size of the egg did not make a diference in the size they grew into after hatch for me.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ah, Julie, you must have been reading my mind. Thats exactly what I was wondering, was if those little eggs would produce little chicks that would grow up to be little chickens. I guess Suede is living proof that is NOT the case!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by