1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I integrate my chicks into my regular coop and run

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michiele, Jul 6, 2011.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    We are newbie chicken owners. We got 4 pullets last week (ages 8 - 10 weeks old). I am going to pick up some standard cochin chicks in the next week or so. At what age can I put the new chicks in with my pullets?

2. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    [​IMG] nice to have you! What I do with new chickens is put them in the coop when all the others are roosting at night this seems to work well. I put my young rhode island reds in the first time during the day and they just got bullied so I snuck them in under the cover of night and presto problem solved no bulling at all!! Chickens arn't very smart and if they wake up and the chicks are already there they just think they must have been there the whole time, but if you do this during the day they know better [​IMG] hope this helps!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    We free-range ours, so what basically happens is when they're feathered enough we let them run loose with the others. Letting them free-range helps because they have a place to get away if need be.

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Sounds very clever! Good idea [​IMG]

5. michiele

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I am going to have to try putting them on the roost at night:) But how old do they have to be before I do this?

6. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    I'm with Dutchgirl on this when they loose their fluff and get their first feathers in they will be ready. i don't personally have my own pictures but go to this link and scroll down to Zendragons post the middle pic shows one thats almost ready

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1793

If they look like this already or if they are already feathered try tonight just check and see whats going on when you let them out in the mooring, and good luck!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. Dachicken

Dachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Montgomery, Texas
    The "sneaking them in at night" sound good, I'm gonna try that.

8. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Glad I could help guys good luck and let me know how it turns out! I'll be waiting [​IMG]

9. michiele

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Well, I don't actually have the chicks yet so I won't be able to report back for a while:) Thanks for the help!

10. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Rodger that PM me when they arrive!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by