When can I integrate my chicks into my regular coop and run

michiele

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
We are newbie chicken owners. We got 4 pullets last week (ages 8 - 10 weeks old). I am going to pick up some standard cochin chicks in the next week or so. At what age can I put the new chicks in with my pullets?

welcome-byc.gif
nice to have you! What I do with new chickens is put them in the coop when all the others are roosting at night this seems to work well. I put my young rhode island reds in the first time during the day and they just got bullied so I snuck them in under the cover of night and presto problem solved no bulling at all!! Chickens arn't very smart and if they wake up and the chicks are already there they just think they must have been there the whole time, but if you do this during the day they know better
wink.png
hope this helps!!

Last edited:
We free-range ours, so what basically happens is when they're feathered enough we let them run loose with the others. Letting them free-range helps because they have a place to get away if need be.

I'm with Dutchgirl on this when they loose their fluff and get their first feathers in they will be ready. i don't personally have my own pictures but go to this link and scroll down to Zendragons post the middle pic shows one thats almost ready

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1793

If they look like this already or if they are already feathered try tonight just check and see whats going on when you let them out in the mooring, and good luck!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom