When Can I Introduce Chicks Hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nevaschickens, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Nevaschickens

Nevaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Florida
    We are going to get chicks in a few weeks from a local breeder. So when we get the chicks when should we introduce them to our current flock of 3 orpingtons and 1 mixed breed bantam? We went to get 1 or 2 more bantams and a few other types of standard sized chickens. When exactly should we start to introduce and all that good stuff? I've never really had to this because, last time we got more chickens they all were going through the teenager stage. So they all got along well at first meet.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    How old are your current hens? We usually wait 3-5 months before integrating chicks with matured hens/cocks. For right now I'd keep the chicks in a temporary coop/pen, separated from adult birds to prevent bullying.

3. Nevaschickens

Nevaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Florida
    They are about 8 months old.

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Then I'd probably wait till the chicks are 3-5 months old before integrating them. For right now I'd build a temporary pen and coop if I were you. Hope this helps!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Agree. The youngsters need their own pen, preferable right alongside the older girls. If you raise them out there until they are the same size as the older ones so everybody has lots of time to get used to each other, your integration will go much easier. On you and on the new youngsters! I raise new chicks in a grow out pen alongside the older birds from the age of 5 weeks until they are 15 weeks old. Then they start going out in the pasture with the older birds. By that time the older ones have gotten used to them and pecking order scuffles are very minor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by