1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when can i introduce the ducklings to drakes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkielover92, Aug 9, 2011.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    I have a Drake pekin duck and a female runner. The two ducklings I have ar:confused:e another pekin and a ballad... they are about a month old...how long till I can introduce them to the others? [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It can depend a bit on the older group and how they will except the younger ones- to begin with its best to have the babies in a safe area near where the older ones are housed- but so they can see each other- without the adults being able to attach the babies. After they have seen each other a few times you can let them into an area together watching carefully for any signs of the adults attacking the babies. When putting young ones in with a sexually active drake its best to make sure the ducklings are at least 8- 10 weeks old with very careful supervision, 14 weeks is about when they start to display mating behaviour, so you may have issues if the larger pekin is trying to mate with the smaller mallard.

I hatch year round so my flock is very well used to having babies introduced on a regular basis and I know that I can trust the drakes, but for a first time its much better to be very cautious to avoid the young ones getting hurt. They can of course go outside to live in their own area before this time if you want them out of the house if thats where they are.

3. silkielover92

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    Quote:Okay! Thanks, they right now are living in a shed at night with a heat lamp on and are in a puppy pen with a kiddie pool during the day. He has seen them when he free ranges ocassionally he has looked at them then went on and did his own thing. When I introduced my first guinneas to the chicken flock he would "snake" his head at them and tried to peck them. The ducklings are Deffinatly over a month old I'm guessing around 14 weeks or more. I just guessed in my previous post because that's how long I've had them. They still have the downy fluff but are getting the start of feathers under it. Also I'm assuming the two I have now are males as their starting to sound more hoarse as they peep in their pool. Will they get more aggression shown towards them if they are males? (please excuse the typos, as I'm on my phone)

4. silkielover92

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    Since your a breeder maybe u can help me then I was told the females have a quiet "raspy"mire of a chirping and the males have a actual quack, but now I'm reading its vice-versa? Hellllppp! [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is the other way- drakes have a very raspy sounding voice. The girls have a loud quack- however at a young age it can be hard to tell sometimes. I recently had a duckling that was definitely quacking at 3 - 5 weeks old- but then the voice had changed and I vent sexed and found he was in fact a boy.

Here are some good youtube videos with some very vocal drakes.

And for females...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by