when can I introduce them to the flock

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mother of All, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    two new birds when can I introduce them to the flock. I have one other turkey that free ranges with all my chickens

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    when they are close to the same size and do it at dusk.....

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    one is a fully grown tom and one is a large hen.

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Do you have them penned next to other ones? It's hard to add just a couple of birds they might get picked on pretty good unless you have a large yard I would pen them next to the others and add a few bossy ones to the ones you are wanting to merge into the group so you would add 6 or more to the flock after those were buddies...you just can't throw in a couple newbies into a larger group or I never had good luck trying I add at least 4 at a time even if I just really am adding 1 new one....it takes about a month unless you are adding chicks to a brooder but after they are 6 to 8 weeks old you have to integrate them with flock...I added 10 new Delawares (8 weeks old)to 25 ( 11 weeks old)they were next to each other for a week and then I figured they were pretty much the same size even if the ones I added were 3 weeks younger at dusk when I had help I added them no problems at all but they were the same kind of birds I don't think I would have tried it so soon if they looked different....I hope you can understand what I am meaning..writing this out isn't that easy....Is your other turkey a hen? 2 toms might have a good fight you never know....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by