When can I introduce?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KikiDeAnime, Apr 14, 2019.

1. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I was holding Colonel and my older brother's gf was holding Duchess so we could see how Colonel would react. He wanted to hurt her right away, I think because she's small, so I put him back in the cage with the baby chicks and set Duchess's cage next to it so they could see each other everyday.

When could I put them together?

Our 4 young pullets need to go outside soon so I need to pair Colonel up with Duchess as soon as possible.

Any tips/advice?

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  2. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    1 month of seeing, but not touching each other is what most ppl do. When I acquired a new roo my hens were already used to having a roo around. I put the roo in a large dog kennel for 3 days then let him out. He was not sick (got him from a friend) so I let him out very fast. They need to be able to investigate each other safely first though or they will/can fight to the death if you don't rip them apart. For anyone wondering my hens were fine with him and he was also. Hens were much older and the roo was so young he didn't do much or know what to do.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  3. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    1 month of seeing, but not touching each other is what most ppl do. When I acquired a new roo my hens were already used to having a roo around. I put the roo in a large dog kennel for 3 days then let him out. He was not sick (got him from a friend) so I let him out very fast. They need to be able to investigate each other safely first though or they will/can fight to the death if you don't rip them apart. For anyone wondering my hens were fine with him and he was also. Hens were much older and the roo was so young he didn't do much or know what to do.

4. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017

5. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    How old are they?

6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    How old are they?

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  7. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Colonel is around 2-2 1/2 weeks old and Duchess is around 2-3 days old

8. carinadiane

carinadiane In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2019
    Hey! Sorry just a little confused. So you are trying to match up a 2-3 day old chick, with a 3 week old pullet? For breeding purposes? Or just for living in the same area?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

It’s Ducklings and what your doing is the best way let them live side by side until your duckling is older say two weeks she’ll be sturdier too. Usually after a few weeks of living side by side where they can see each other they bond pretty easy and once you take the pullets outside that will help Colonel want to bond with the duckling quicker. Since Colonel has been living with chicks he probably looks at Duchess as an intruder, give them time they’ll be madly in love before long.

KikiDeAnime likes this.
  10. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Okay, thank you!
    It's just easier with chickens than ducks. We're first time duckling owners so I was confused on how to introduce them.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: