When can I leave my chickens out for the night?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NanaLantana, Feb 15, 2011.

1. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    My first set of chickens are now about 5 weeks old, I think - they have most of their feathers. Still some fuzz on the head and neck (not much!). Under wings is not full feathered, and their butts are still fluffy. Last night here in S. Florida it got down to 48*. I've been putting them in the coop in the mornings, bringing them in at night. At what age should they be able to stay out all night, even if it gets in the 40's? The coop is designed for S. Florida:cool:, not to hold heat. So they're in a cage in my extra kitchen. I love my chickens, they're so sweet, but they don't need to live in my house! I still have infants in the brooder, it will be a while before they even go outside at all.

The last chicken I had was a pet - she died before Christmas at 9 yrs old from moulting. So sad - I miss her! She laid eggs almost the whole time - Arucauna. Years ago She began to steal sips of coffee, which stimulated the egg production, I believe. So I continued to give her coffee once or twice a week. She was a spring chick, so I didn't have to worry about the weather for her. Oh - she also ate dog food - Purina, green bag - she would only eat the orange triangles. I think they might be cheese flavored!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I put mine out at 5 weeks. It was really cold so I hooked up a heat lamp for them to get under if they so desired. They did fine. Just make sure they have all their feathers & they should be fine. My biddies were hatched in cold weather so they feathered out faster.

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Thanks - I think this is their last week indoors!

4. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:After our blizzard, we are now warming up and getting into the 60's and 70's in the day and down to 40ish at night. I moved my almost 2 month olds out. They are full feathered, one doesn't even cheap anymore. they have a section in the big coop with the older girls. It has been 3 days and they are doing well. We don't have a light out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by