when can i leave my dog alone with the ducks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 688peterl, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i have a lab who is great with my 2 ducks but i have never left him alone with them, i will have to eventually because they will be sharing the garden (he doesnt stay in the garden just poops and pees), so if he is fine with them when i am there will he be ok to be alone with them? here he is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know i didnt need the pics but i just thought id share his cuteness [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    my yellow lab is great with the animals.. but lately when they flap their wings she is getting a little too excited. they have been together for 9 mos. i don't think they will ever be alone.. would hate to see all my babies laying around the yard like broken toys

3. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    My Catahoula is great with my ladies when I am around, but I will never find out what she will do when I am not around. I never risk anything I don't want to lose. 10,000 years of instinct is hard to argue with.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My dog loves to play with the ducks, I wouldn't leave her alone with them I'm sure the game could go sour by accident.

The ducks always go for my dog first, I think they're seriously annoyed with the dog, and then the dog starts bouncing around them and it gets wilder and wilder till I yell at the dog [​IMG]
    My dog has grabbed the ducks by the neck, but in a playful way she's never drawn blood or anything, but it could so easily happen by accident.

Edit to add, my dog is an Australian Cattle dog. Likes to try herd everything and everyone!

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I say give her a chance worst case scenario, you loose a duck or two. [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My dog just killed my whole duck flock last week.(.Well..she left 2 alive)...but today she got 1 more..
    We cant figure out how shes getting out of the dog pen! She HAS to be jumping out somewhere.. [​IMG]
    Anyway..i have 1 duck left... [​IMG]
    I hate my dog today.. i know its not her fault..shes just being a dog..but still, shes getting coal this year.. [​IMG]
    So..if you ask me,,i'd never, ever leave the dog alone with the ducks.. [​IMG]

7. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:There is a silver lining.............. Now you dont have to worry about providing your ducks with water in the winter. [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
  9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:There is a silver lining.............. Now you dont have to worry about providing your ducks with water in the winter. http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4950.gif

[​IMG] <~~ giggling under the chair, you forgot another point, Redhen won't have to feed the dog for a while either. [​IMG]

10. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:There is a silver lining.............. Now you dont have to worry about providing your ducks with water in the winter. http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4950.gif

[​IMG] <~~ giggling under the chair, you forgot another point, Redhen won't have to feed the dog for a while either. [​IMG]

I wonder if that dog would like a little PORK to go with the duck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by