When can I let the Mother out of the dog house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mother of All, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I have a Mother hen in my dog house with her 5 babies. They range from 14 days old to 3 days old. I have them in a large dog house with chicken wire covering the opening. The mother wants out to free range with the others. When can I let her out? Will she want make in with her babies? Will I have to raise the babies myself if I let her out?

2. madrona

madrona In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    It depends on the personality of your hen. I started letting my mama hen out when the chicks were three weeks old, and she didn't end up going very far from her babies. When she was outside the pen, the chicks got all upset that they couldn't follow her. They started peeping and running back and forth at the nearest spot of their pen, trying to reach her. She spent a lot of time trying to dig under the walls of the pen to release them, or just sitting next to them against the screening. I'd usually catch her at the end of the day and put her back into the chick pen for night-time. Then I set up a ramp and she'd go back in on her own (it was a trap door in the ceiling of the pen.)

If you still have at least one chick that's only three days old, warmth would be an issue unless you're somewhere that's got really hot weather right now.

You could try an experiment and let the mother hen out and see what happens. If she doesn't go back in with the chicks at night, you can catch her after dark and put her back in with them.

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    That is an idea but I have 6 other buffs and after dark it would be to hard to find mama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: