when can I let the younger chicks out with the big girls?

luvmychks51

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Brooksville, FL
I got some jersey giants about a month ago. they bigger than my bantams now and about half the size of my Plymouths. They are always trying to run out the door and the other chickens (free roaming) have done their share of checking them out through the wire. No signs of aggression from anyone. Is is safe to let them out yet?

If they have had contact through wire for some time then I would let them out as the others are just heading to roost and see how it goes. There will be some general pecking to establish pecking order. The second day try it for longer. If all goes well then let them out for the day but keep watch in case. Should be fine.

When I did that, it wasn't yet what you would call free range, but in the coop and I sat myself down on a lawn chair in the coop and supervised. I allowed some pecking, but no terrifying and chasing......no cornering and such. The little ones got to know me as their protection. I knew I couldn't keep them like that, so I picked up the babies and did it again and again, until I felt comfortable keeping them together all the time. They have a big run by daytime and get locked tight by night. Bullying will happen. I just felt safer making sure it didn't get too far out of hand.

i gave it a try and let the chicks out - while i watched. it didn't go well. the big girls went nuts and i had to chase the chicks back to the door they could not find in their panic. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom