When can I let them out of the run/coop??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tina D, May 12, 2011.

1. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    I brought my two ladies home today! [​IMG]

I have kept them inside their run, and put them to bed inside the attached coop this evening. The 4 year old is a buff orpington and the 1 year old is a cochin/polish mix. They came from a huge farm, and I just hate to keep them caged up. They look so confused! But, I know it's necessary for a while, so they become accustomed to their new home. When is the soonest I can let them out to explore the yard?? We have 6 foot tall wooden stockade fencing on 2 sides of the backyard. On the other 2 sides, we have chainlink fencing about 4 feet tall. I know the orpington couldn't fly over, and I'm pretty sure the cochin/polish couldn't either. They are both quite tame. What do you think??

2. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    you'll never know til you try!

Just let one out by itself and stay closeby...

I'd do it that way at first...

3. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Usually after a few days I let them out an hour before sunset and hang out with them. they don't go too far from the coop because they know it will get dark soon. I make sure they go back to bed on their own. Once they pass this test a few times I feel comfortable letting them out earlier in the day unsupervised, but there is always a risk of a predator getting them.

4. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks! I did let the ladies out for a bit today. They enjoyed rummaging around for a short while. Then they both headed back into the run. I guess it's a bit of a security blanket to them, until they are totally comfortable here with us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by