When can I let them out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bradleyscott, Mar 17, 2015.

1. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    I got 9 of these messy suckers and I'm ready to let them go to the pond. When will they be able to live there they are five weeks old right now.[​IMG]

2. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    I wouldn't let a duckling unsupervised without an adult duck or adult animal or adult human (thought goaded teen humans are ok, too) until they had their full feathers and could stay dry and warm on their own. My mallards were feathered around 8 or 10 weeks? Something like that, and were on their own then.

They hated the heat lamp as soon as they started getting feathers. But amateur as I am I'd never let ducks without feathers be out overnight.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree, they are just babies and would be gone in no time so please put up with messy a while longer to keep them safe.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    Thanks for the replies. Could I put a tub of water in thier pen so they have something to splash in instead of thier drinking water.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As long as it's warm enough they won't chill once wet, and make a way for them to get in an out of easily. They look adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by