1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when can I let them outside to eat bugs/grass????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cjeanean, May 23, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 30 cornish cross that are about 3 weeks old. I want to put them outside on the grass outside, but I want to make sure that it's okay for them to eat grass and bugs before I do so. I'm going to be providing sand for grit for them. When can I let them out?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If the temperture is warm to hot, let them have all the bugs they can eat. The grass shouldn't hurt them either as long as you give them grit.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    cjeanean, you'd be surprised at how fast chicks learn to find their own "grit". Mine discovered it under the hibiscus bush and that's the first place they head. I still offer it every other day in their brooder besides.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

My Cornish X's have been out in my pasture pen since they were three weeks. I give them no grit.

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:OK , I am reading " GRIT " on several post . PLEASE explain , VERY NEW to this chicken STUFF . LOL:barnie

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Grit, probably just what you think it is. Gritty stuff like tiny rocks or big specks of sand. The chickens need it to grind up the nonprocessed food they eat like vegetable matter of all sorts. Corn, other seeds, weeds, grass, vegetable trimmings from your kitchen. Also animal matter like insects, ticks, worms.

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Is there some grit in the starter food?

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    no, I've got them on gamebird starter, 22% protien

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I don't know of grit being in starter food. You can buy little bags of grit and sprinkle it on the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by