1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I mix coccidia chicks with others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shelly Chip, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Shelly Chip

Shelly Chip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi,

I recently bought some chicks that ended up having what I think is coccidian. The chicks acted healthy for the most part, but one had poop stuck to its butt and their feces smells strong and just bad and I have seen bloody feces in the cage and on one's rear end. So I am treating those 3 with corid. I have another chick who is all alone and cries all day. I actually bought these other chicks to be his friend, but now I can't put them together. It will be 7 days of treatment on Wednesday. Can I put the other chicks right in with my lonely chick on that day, or should I wait for a little while? Does corid pretty much always work and the chicks are safe after that, or should I wait awhile? I have tried to find another little chick for my lonely one, but no one seems to have week old chicks around me this time of year.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would wait a bit personally because coccidosis can be spread through feces. If she/he still has a touch of it it can spread to the others. Its better to be safe than sorry. This is just my opinion. I'm probably a bit over cautious but id wait a bit to make certain the bird is clear before intergration. Best wishes

3. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    I will wait a bit then. Thanks!

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Aww that's so sad. Be sure to give your little lonely chick a little stuffed bear or something. Yeah I would keep those other chicks away from the other for a week or so. Then you could put the other one on corid as a preventative about 3 days before you put it in with the others. Then keep them all on corid until about 8 weeks or so. The exposed ones should be immune to that particular strain of cocci due to being exposed already. Keep an eye out for any symptoms in the other one but keeping it on the corid should be good. I have dealt with cocci quite a bit and use it as a preventative on all my chicks now knowing that it exists in our soil.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi, I gave the lonely chick two stuffed animals and a mirror. I also try to play with him a couple times a day. I want him to be good with other chickens though, so I really need to find him a bantam buddy. I am not having much luck finding a suitable friend in Michigan though. I want another polish or even another silkie would do...just something crested so it will not pull his crest out. Anyhow, can I really keep all the chicks on corid for the first 8 weeks of their life? It will not hurt them?

6. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    I should mention too that they are all on medicated chick feed.

Shelly

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You can still give them corid even if they are on the medicated food. Perfectly safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by