When Can I Move Into a Larger Brooder?

MKDuo

Hatching
Apr 13, 2020
Boise, Idaho
Hey everyone and greetings from Idaho!

My wife and I just started this addiction. We have 5 new babies who are currently living in a small plastic tupperware container. I am in the process of purchasing a kiddie plastic pool from Target and modifying it to make something larger for them instead of this tupperware (got the idea from here!). My question is, at what point can I move them into this pool from the little box they are in? They turned a week old today :)

IMG_5658 (1).jpg

Thanks!
Mark

Well, I just went back to check on them and one of them was on top of the water container which would allow her to get out. I guess I will be prepping that pool today. My only concern is keeping it at the correct temperature with just the one lamp.

You can move them any time as long as they have a heat source. I use a large live stock tank for mine twice the size you see at Tractor Supply. Received it free from a local farmer, it had a few holes that needed patching. I had 40 chicks in mine and they grow fast. I built a wood frame to fit around the outside and stapled hardwire cloth to it to use as a cover. Even with the high walls they could jump out at a pretty early age.

Last edited:
You can move them any time as long as they have a heat source. I use a large live stock tank for mine twice the size you see at Tractor Supply. Received it free from a local farmer, it had a few holes that needed patching. I had 40 chicks in mine and they grow fast. I built a wood frame to fit around the outside and stapled hardwire cloth to it to use as a cover. Even with the high walls they could jump out at a pretty early age.

They will have their heat source, it just will not be the same temperature throughout the brooder. Hopefully, the 4' hardware cloth holds them for a while.

They will have their heat source, it just will not be the same temperature throughout the brooder. Hopefully, the 4' hardware cloth holds them for a while.

x2 what Angileen said. The temperature in the brooder should NOT be consistent throughout, ideally only the area under the heat lamp should be warm and the rest should be cooler.

And the 4' height should hold them in for a while, though I'd still put some sort of cover on, such as bird netting, just as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom