When can I move my ducks into the coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fishnet1971, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Ok, so my 3 Pekins are about 3 weeks old. Off the heat light for about two days now. Took them outside for the first time yesterday. they of course LOVED it,. I put them into my chicken pen (about 150 X 150 with pine trees, some mud, grass, etc.) they were so excited. It was just the cutest thing. Anyway, as you guys know (and I didnt, as being new to ducks) they are STINKING my house up. [​IMG]. At what age can I move them outside into my chicken coop and let them go with my chickens? (I hope this works out.)

If I cant let them go with my chickens in the coop, I can make an area for them at night on their own in the coop and let them out all day to free range. I have about 5 acres of myown that is open and has wetlands, grass, field, etc. for them to enjoy all day. There is another 11 acres of ground to enjoy as well. I have a kiddie pool all ready for them as well. Does anyone let their ducks out to free range all the time? Is it safe??? I have never lost a chicken to anything except a dog once. They are out when i get home from work until sundown and all days on weekends.

I never knew ducklings were 'squishy' [​IMG]

2. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    This is my first time raising chicks and ducks. But this is what I have done and I have not had any problems so far. I got 3 ducks and 5 chicks at the same time. I have kept them together from day one. When they started getting too messy in the house (about 2 weeks old) I moved them out into the coop. I have a good sized coop though. So there is room for the food, water, and play bowl to be spread out. Also, plenty of room for the chicks to stay away from the ducks if they wish. They are now about a month old I do however keep 2 heat lamps out in the coop. The chicks and ducks do sleep under them at night. So I have not taken them away yet.

My other 3 ducks are about 2 weeks younger. When I moved them out with the other ducks and chicks I kept them separate for a few days. They all got along when I put them together.

I do not have any adult chickens or ducks though. So I do not know how it would work out with them.

Good Luck. They are so much fun!

3. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I live just a little south of you near Brimfield. I have had my duckling out side for about 2 - 4 (2 are 4 weeks old and 6 are about 8 weeks old) weeks now. Up until about a week ago I had still had the heat lamp in there. I let our ducks free range all day and lock them back up between before 8pm. Ours are pretty safe, plus the Canadian geese keep a good watch out as well since they have goslings. I think you could put them outside if you wanted to....maybe provide a heat lamp for the next 1-2 weeks...

4. that's exactly what I wanted to do, and how we had them growing up. they just wandered around outside all day, and came in at night on their own once they knew where home was.

do you think at 2 1/2 weeks they are ok being outside during the day? in my run with my chickens. (meaning the temp's and stuff.) are they smart enough to go back inside if they are cold?

Brimfield is definitly local to me!

5. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:They should be alright based the weather forecast for the next 10 days or so. They may go in or they may huddle together out of the wind(mine prefer the later of the two). Just try to keep them as dry as possible without going nuts about it. They should be fine because they can keep themselves fairly warm.

6. at least its not going to snow this week. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    we may drown, but we wont freeze.

I may see about taking them out to the coop (aka shed tajmahal 8 X 12 new insulated shed.) this weekend. I am to overprotective of them already. Just cant imagine taking them out at this young of an age. I am used to the chicks. Heck, my chicks of the same age right now are so small still.

I can not believe how big they get fast!

7. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:We live south of Brimfield a little......actually within a couple of miles of Hartville.

8. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:They DO grow quick! We/I am kinda over protective as well. When we made our small duck house we insulated it as well....because I am paranoid. The have that down and feathers to keep them pretty warm. Drown is right! We got big puddles all over the lawn they love to make a mess in.

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Our's are 6 weeks and we just put them in with the chickens 3 days ago. We only had 2 ducks and they grew up on their own. We also have heavy breed chickens so we waited until the ducks were fully feathered. We are also in the process of building an addition to house the pool so that it does not take up so much room. We shut them in the coop the first night after the chickens went to bed, and when we let them out in the morning, there were no fights. Right now we just have a problem with having to catch them to put them in the coop at night, but it has only been three days so hopefully they will get the idea soon. We also plan on letting them free range during the day, but right now it it too hard to catch them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. great. It sounds like i am on the right track. I let my girls and roo see the new ducks yesterday. They SNUBBED me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yup, they stuck up their little fluffy butts and walked right away from me!

I have raised SNOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by