When can I move them to the brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilstar, May 14, 2011.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Have 7 chicks, 1st hatched almost 24 hours ago, 2 more followed that afternoon/evening, 1 more later at night, and 3 more snuck out while we were sleeping [​IMG] There's 2 more eggs with no pips. Not giving up on them yet but its possible they already died. So how soon can I move them into the brooder? Should I wait until they're all ready or move a few at a time? They're all developmentally different! Older chicks are running around like crazy, climbing on things, and the newer ones don't yet have near the agility and coordination!

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    If they have plenty of room, leave them in there. The older chicks running and chirping encourages the other ones to hatch. If they are trompling each other, you can remove 2-3 of the biggest ones, but leave at least a few in there.

It's advisable to not move anyone until they are all fluffed out - they need the humidity in the hatcher to fluff properly.

3. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    The humidity helps the fluffing? I thought it'd be the opposite. Like, they stay somewhat damp extra long because its so humid evaporation doesnt happen very fast? How long does it take for them to get fluffed? A couple look like they're maybe getting there but not quite. It could be that I don't really know what all I'm watching for. Not sure if I've ever even seen chicks younger than a week or so, which I imagine gives them time to grow a bit more down and look fluffier than at a day old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by