1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can i order from mcmurray? also Q's on my pet chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L*A*G*, Oct 12, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I got a 09 catalog from murray mcmurray hatchary a few days ago and I want to order some cukoo marans. the mag says they are avaliable feb-nov but the web says unknown can I order them now or not? should i get some grow gel? how much is 1 grow gel? any successes with mcmurray?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Unknown probably means that they won't be available for a long time. I doubt that it means available now.
    You'll just have to wait for spring. It'll come....someday.

3. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:[​IMG] waiting on spring takes 4ever

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I think most hatcheries are done with chicks this year. I would call and ask them that is probably your best bet.

Not to take you away from McMurry but I ordered from MyPetChicken.com and was very pleased with them. I think they might have some still available.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Ideal poultry hatches 52 weeks a year [​IMG] Not all breeds are available, but its worth looking into [​IMG]

6. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
  7. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    those are day olds I think.... and the $3.75 is price per chick. the more you get the cheaper the shipping I think. [​IMG]

8. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    how much is the shipping?

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Unless MyPetChicken has changed recently, the minimum is 5...if you're really close to a major city, then it's 3 (I got 5 in Sept.). The chicks are cheap, but the shipping is costly (and well worth it to insure that the chicks are safe IMO). I think the shipping (including the heat pad/gel) was about $35...something close to that anyway.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The minimum at my pet chicken depends on how close you are to a major airport since that determines how long they'd be in transit and how many other chicks would be needed to help keep them warm. Warmth is a main reason for the minimums at most hatcheries. Right now is not the best time to order from a hatchery in the north. Mcmurray is up here with me and we are getting snow already.... Whatever chickens haven't stopped laying will likely have their chicks frozen on the way out. MPC is on the east coast fairly far up north too. You can try to order but it's getting risky which is why most northern hatcheries are shutting down for the year. You are better off either finding a hatchery still in a warmer climate or waiting until spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by