when can I place baby duck outside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaKid, May 20, 2010.

1. DaKid

DaKid Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Ok my baby mallard and buff Orpington ducks are 2 weeks + year old I move them into the chicken coop last week in brooder pen/cages with a 60 watt bulb heat lamp over head in there cage , my coop is 12 x 12 and has a 4 ‘ window which is open ½ way and my double door –( which is 4 ‘ width total has two build in screen windows also ) .

My question is this when can I place my baby ducks into the large aviary, even if I have to place a heat lamp in there temp. coop or shelter so that can get warm up on these chilly night .

The reason why I ask I have them in the chicken coop in the brooder cages but they are making a really mess in the drop slide out draws under the pens with the water and food and is starting to stink I been clean the drop draws every other day but BOY IT SURE STINKS ,
    CAN I PLACE THEM INTO THE DUCK AVIARY SO I DON’T HAVE TO SMELL THE THERE MESS IN THE COOP

Alan

2. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Alan, I'm sorry, I kind of missed how old they are. Are they 1 year and 2 weeks, or just two weeks old?

3. DaKid

DaKid Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    there are a little over 2 week old they where born may 3 and 4 , I just took them out to the chicken coop aftr having them in the basement , but now there really making a mess , the brooder cages/pen have wire floors with slide out draws which have a this coating of shaving , but it seem that ducks are messer that chickens , ther splashing the water and food into the drop draws and every 2 day I have to clean them out and there are also starting to stink up a storm in the main coop .

Alan

4. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I don't know why you couldn't put them in the aivery if you can get a light out there as well. They're probably a little young still to go with out food and water for the night, but eventually you can take that away for the night time hours which will help eleminate some mess. LOL, yes, ducks are MUCH messier than chickens. I'm assuming the aivery in enclosed, and reasonably predator proof. Good luck, they will only be small for a short while. [​IMG]

5. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Oh, and I have to ask. Is your avatar your house?

6. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Songster 9 Years

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    If it is warm where you live then you can put them outside. My two were outside at 1 and 3 weeks old.

7. DaKid

DaKid Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    tHANKS YA 'LL

-n- yes that is my house a log cabin [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  8. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I LOVE it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: