when can I put eggs in the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scrambledmess, Dec 14, 2010.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I want to hatch some chickies! But it is really cold out (18 was the high today) and I doubt eggs that have frozen at all will be good. Without going out every 30 mins or so to gather eggs, how can I get some I can hatch? I do have a roo with my girls and all eggs I have used have the little bullseye in the yoke, so I know they are fertile. Do I just need to wait until spring?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh no you don't need to wait. Collect them, bring them in, set them in a carton big side up for about 8 hours and then set them in the bator. Good luck!!!! If they are frozen completely, discard them, or thaw them for eating, but the ones that are not frozen, SET THEM!! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you're able to eat them yourself, and they're not frozen or icky on the insides, they're perfectly good to hatch. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Quote:Yep, yep!!!!

5. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

This thread is just what I need! I was just about to ask that same question!!! Got a bator today and was wondering about that.

BUT, I do have a problem with this. I have two hens (Barred Rock and Red Sex Link) and many diferent breeds of roos that all, cough cough, mate with them. So, would the chicks be... odd? Because I have a banty roo, a huge beat roo, a wellie, and two more bantys that don't mount yet. Hmmmm...

6. debilorrah

Quote:LOUIE!!! Designer chicks are the best. I have three roos and multiple hens that are not matched in breed and my most recent hatch gave me some really cool looking chicks. I have three yellow ones with black spots!!! I can't wait to see what they look like grown! I also have a black chick that is clearly from my turken hen because the neck has such short feathers, and who knows who the dad is. And who cares!!! DO IT!!! You will be surprised with what comes out! [​IMG]

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    I would start collecting up as many as you want to hatch and start hatching. Typically if I bring ones in that have been out in the cold but were not frozen I will let the sit until they warm to room temp, then set them in the bator.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If you have only one incubator, it is best to set all the eggs at once .... don't just keep adding eggs each day.

Collect eggs for a week, and then put them all in at the same time.

9. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    If you have only one incubator, it is best to set all the eggs at once .... don't just keep adding eggs each day.

Collect eggs for a week, and then put them all in at the same time.

You can do this? How? Leave them on the counter or put them in the fridge? You don't wash them, I am assuming?

Thanks again!

I decided we needed to do this as the cost of chicken here has gone up so high!!! I whole bird cost over $6 at Walmart, other stores have them for over$7. Crazy! Time to raise my own. We have a butcher who will do it all and put a whole bird in a bag for $1.25 It is less then a dollar if he doesn't bag the bird. My one coworker just takes a big cooler and puts them all in there and brings them home to bag herself or cut the way she likes.​

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:You can do this? How? Leave them on the counter or put them in the fridge? You don't wash them, I am assuming?

Thanks again!

Yes, you can do this. That is what most people do. Best storage is 60 - 65 * temperature, and turn them a few times a day. Do not "TURN" them upside down, just side to side, like tilting the entire egg carton..... or, if you have an egg turner (for an incubator) just set them in it and plug it in (not inside a running incubator of course).

I don't wash my eggs that will be incubated, but some do .... Here is a thread on that topic...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=426155

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by