when can i put my 20 week old chicks with my big girls/eat layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ldutch123, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    When can I have all my chickens together? I have some 2 year old girls and 25 20 week girls who haven't layer yet. Since they r 20 weeks cam they start eating layer feed and live with the big girls?

2. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I mix my pullets with my flock as soon as they are feathered and off the heat lamp. I do it slowly though. First I let them get to know each other for a few days to a week but still keep the babies separated from the big girls. (they can see each other but not peck each other since I separate them either using a cage or a fence). After that I open the cage door so the babies can get in and out and away from the big girls if they are being pecked. After a few days they get used to each other and everything is peaceful. I still would feed them grow mash (the big girls will eat it too so I offer it in several separate bowls so that they don't fight over it) and layer feed for the big girls. I hope that helps. I usually don't have any problem when I do it this way.

3. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    If I let them live together how can I keep the ill ones from eating the layer feed? Will it hurt if the big girls eat chick feed? What would u suggest about the food situation.

4. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I was going to feed them all flock raiser but they only have pellets and they are used to crumbles?

5. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I will offer layer feed and grow mash. I find with my flock that they all prefer the mash but the big girls will still eat the layer feed (after the mash is all gone!). It won't hurt them.

6. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    at 20 weeks they should have no problem eating grow pellets instead of crumbles

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Years ago I asked that question while I was at Meyer Hatchery and they told me that chicks can be on layer as young as 12 weeks

1 person likes this.
  8. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    And u personaly never had any problem? I'm gonna mix the kids together then!

9. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    Just remember to let them see each other for a few days before they are mixed together. Keep an eye on them. See how they react to each other. My flock is very docile so I never had any problems. They all get along great. Good luck. Keep us posted

10. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    They have had connected runs but seperated by fence for months now. They have ran together during the day for bout a week. The young girls just get out of my big girls way cause they rule all. I haven't seen anyone hurt just normal pecking order situations. Thanks so much for your help. I also find they r much happier and don't care about each other as much while free ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by