1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When can I put my chicks in the coop? (pics of chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chichi56788, Jul 10, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Songster

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I am building a coop for my silkies that are about 2 months old and way to big for there brooder . I have 7 other chicks that are about 2 weeks old. I have 3 Americauna chicks and 2 of them are huge. They were in the other brooder, but they were trampling the other chicks so I moved them in with the silkies. I was wondering If I could put them out in the coop with my silkies. I live in a small neighbourhood and the only predator is my kitty. If not, when can I put them in?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. gwill23

gwill23 Songster

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    I put mine in the coop at 5 and 7 weeks. They were brooded together in the same coop and they have done everything together so far including roaming around outside. Now that mom is done with them I put them in the coop with the older chickens with a fence they can run through to get away from the bigger ones incase of trouble.

Yours are a little further a part in age so I would put them in the same coop but separate them for a few weeks to make sure they are ok with one another just in case.

[​IMG]

3. chichi56788

chichi56788 Songster

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Ok, thanks! [​IMG] My silkies have been in the same brooder with 2 of my americaunas for a week and they keep trying to snuggle with the silkies. I was just worried that they will fall down the ramp that leads into the run, or they wont be able to get up it. Im new to chickens so im kind of confused.

4. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Songster

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    So I read this info somewhere:
    They should start out with a temp of 90~95 their first week with the temp lowered by 5 each week until 65 is reached.
    So:
    Week 1: 90
    Week 2: 85
    Week 3: 80
    Week 4: 75
    Week 5: 70
    Week 6: 65

But, I know many just let mama chicken take care of the baby chicks and they are out in the coop from day one(with mama sitting on them at night for a few weeks though).

So if this heat wave is keeping it above 70 at night where you are too you can be the judge.

Also I hear that fence thing works great, never had to try it myself though. I appreciate the picture, I'd only read about it, neat to see a version of it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. chichi56788

chichi56788 Songster

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    It is about 90 degrease out side average, so I dont think them being cold will be a problem,

6. chichi56788

chichi56788 Songster

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Here are my chicks.

My 2 silkies who I am building the coop for: Poppycock (left) and Honeybee (right)
    [​IMG]

And here are the 2 Americauna chicks. Buttons (left) and Sir Snuggle Muffins (right) Sir Snuggle Muffins can jump over 9 inch tall walls so he will be able to jump over his brooder soon, thats why I want to move them.
    [​IMG]

7. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    my family moved them out in the coop at about 4 weeks. of course, we also introduced them to the run and coop on warm days first (it was the middle of may) and the first day we did it, I was just surprised to come home from school and no 'Welcome home!' peeped to me![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chichi56788

chichi56788 Songster

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Well I think Im going to wait another week though.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I put mine outside in the tractor when they were 9 days old. I let them out in the fenced backyard with supervision at 2 wks. At 5 wks we didn't supervise them during the day and locked them up at night. We integrated them at a little over 7 wks. old with the adult black sex links on our property about 3 miles away. We kept them separated in the coop for 2 days, let them free range with the adults on the third day and put them up on the roosts with the adults that night. Maybe we were lucky but no major squables- just regular pecking order stuff. They are 9 wks old now and all are fine. Whew......

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member 8 Years

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have what is called a Nursery Hutch. Smaller than the coop of course. It's right behind the coop where the big birds and the small ones can see each other for a few weeks before I put them together, then I do that for short spurts while I watch. It's been warm enough here to put them out in the nursery at two weeks. I had the light on them at first, just in case they wanted it, it's in a corner..and they have plenty of room to get away from it. I turned it off after a few days..warm enough for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: