When can I put my chicks in the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Omran, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I have 3 weeks old chicks in the brooder inside the coop, The coop is well insulated and draft free, and electric outlets are there too, they still have the light ofcourse, but I am thinking that my 5'x2' brooder is a little small for 26 chicks, do you guys think it will be ok if I put them on the floor and took the brooder out with leaving the red light 24" above in one corner of the coop???

please tell me what you think?

thanks.

Omran

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Your in Kentucky, the temps there can't be too bad, right? I would try that. Just monitor them, make sure there comfy. Up here at the shore area we had 25 temps last night [​IMG] What's your temps there at night?

I would make sure there are no drafts and with that many chicks it should be all right. Someone else with MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE then me should help you out more. But what you're doing seemed like common sense to me. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure, why not!

If you can keep it warm enough in there they should be just fine. I brood often from day one outside in a tractor style brooder coop.

4. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Thank you for your help the temp here is about 30 to 37 at night.
    so I think I will go ahead and get them in the coop.

5. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Are there other chickens in the coop?

6. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:No this coop is just for them the hens are in thier own house.

7. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Then I personally would put them in. They'll stick together for warmth when they need it anyway.

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    You do have a heat lamp for added warmth? I thought you said so. That would help in their comfort. Spring can be weird, please watch your weather reports and make sure they're comfortable....I'm sure you will! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by