When can I put my chicks in the same coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MemphisChickens, May 14, 2011.

1. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I have 3, 10 week old Production Reds and 1 is a rooster, I also have 2, 8 week old old chicks, one is a Black Jersey Giant Roo and the other is a Buff Orpington pullet. They free range the yard together and never seem to mingle with each other. When can I put them in the same "coop" without them really hurting each other? I need to re home to BJG Roo and I'm worried the BO will be very lonely all by herself. It would be ideal if I could just put her with my other 3.

My other option is to try to find a chick her age to replace the BJG. Or.. I can get 2, 1-2 week old chicks and put her with them. My BO is very sweet and timid, I doubt she would be aggressive to younger chicks.

Any suggestions?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    So you have 8 & 10 week olds??? If that's the case you should be able to put them together with no problems!! That's not a big age difference!!

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I say BUY MORE BABIES!!!! [​IMG] That's always the answer!! [​IMG] Seriously, if she is shy and timid it might b better to get her some friends. U could always try to put her in with the older ones and if that doesn't work then u could get her some friends. I have my 4, 5, & 6 week olds together and they r doing very well! [​IMG]

4. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I didn't think 2 weeks was a big difference either but they never mingle together, avoid each other, and charge at each other aggressively. Sometimes 1 of the 10 week olds will hunt down the 8 week old BO. I guess I'm concerned if they could do any real harm to the younger ones or should I just trust that they will work it out without any serious damage.

5. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I tried to integrate them when they were younger and it didn't work well at all. Maybe I should just get some younger ones for her to coop up with once I re-home my BJG roo. They are inseparable right now. She just follows him around and chirps loudly to find him if they are separated.

My 8 week old BO
    [​IMG]

My BJG Roo with BO - both 8 weeks.
    [​IMG]

My other 3 - 10 weeks old. ( 1 roo, 2 pullets)
    [​IMG]

6. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    They r all cuties!! What beautiful chicks! I think if it were me I would get some babies for the BO then. From everything I have read on here it doesn't take long for some1 to get hurt! I have a BO that is about 5 weeks old and she is pretty friendly also. Good luck and thanks for sharing ur pics! [​IMG]

7. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks!! I just don't want them to gang up on her. The other day one of the reds was chasing her and she ran over to me and jumped in my lap for protection. It was really cute but made me worry she will probably really get picked on if I left her without her BJG to defend her. Would it be better for her, or easier, if I got buff orpington chicks or do you think the breed matters?

8. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have been told that keeping the breed the same is easier but I have 29 babies and about 15 different breeds and I haven't had any problems...but I haven't had to replace any of them and they have all been raised together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by