When can I put my chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cosmicredneck, Mar 12, 2017.

1. cosmicredneck

cosmicredneck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Just got my first batch of chicks coop outside is ready to go my question is when will it be safe to put these chicks outside I live in Pennsylvania and its cold out now I heard after 6 weeks chicks will get their feathers and be able to regulate their temperature is this a safe time to put them out

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Chicks need to be weaned off "heat" at a rate of usually about 5 degree's per week till their brooder temp is equal to the room/outside temp. When I move mine to the outside pens I still give them a little heat at night for a week or so more in their draft free roosting place.

3. lostboy

lostboy Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    I'm new to posting on the forums but you will get many different answers to this question. I live in Florida and mine are off heat by 3 weeks and outside in the coop at 4 weeks.

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I absolutely would not suggest anyone put chicks outside in march in PA at six weeks old!

There's no universal magic age when they suddenly don't need heat anymore. As stated, it's a gradual process of weaning them off it--Riverman's guidelines are as good rule of thumb to live by as any, tho in actual practice it doesn't always have to be completely precise.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We had chicks out in the coop by early April.at around 4 weeks The temps were upper 30s low 40s at night. The coop is dry but not heated. They were pretty well feathered and did fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by