When can I put my ducklings outside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdGirl2004, Mar 18, 2017.

1. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2016
    Hello, i just got 5 new baby ducklings and as of today they are 8 days old! Right now they are in the house in a rubbermaid tub... but they are starting to smell!! I really want to get them out of the house but don't want to jump the gun and put them out to early. I was going to put them in a insulated wooden (sturdy) dog house, with lot's of straw! It's about an average of 50 degrees outside during the day. Do you think they will be fine outside? [​IMG] I know that in the next week or so that it will be getting a lot warmer in the 55's or 60's Thanks you guys!!

Do you think that you can also post pictures of winning Ancona ducks in the fair? I want mine to look something like one of those.

2. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    hi, i am by no means a duck expert but i can tell you what I have done. last year we had our first round of ducks, we picked them up in sept i think so it was a little late in the year but anyways my wifes allergies could not handle the straw so i had to put them outside. they were just 3 weeks old at the time. the temps were in the 60s and 70s in the day and 30s and 40s at night. I only remember because i went and found and old thread i commented on lol. the first week out i had a heat light for them but they got to hot so i changed it to a fluorescent 35 w light for a couple weeks but ended up just taking the light out completely. I let nature kinda sturdy them up and by winter they were fully feathered and survived a pretty cold winter this year. we had 6 ducklings so i think they kept each other warm when needed. we just started getting our first eggs last week !!! I would for sure wait though only being 8 days old. we just got 3 more ducklings this past week and this time we are just using puppy pads in the brooder instead of straw. so far so good with her and the allergies and the smell of the ducks is much less with only 3 or we just got used to it :p

3. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    ok thanks!

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    They will smell, but i put fresh shavings in every day. 3 of mine are almost 3 weeks. And 10 are almost 2 weeks
    They are brooded outside but with two heat lamps on one side. They stay where it averages about 70 -73 degrees.
    I wouldnt leave them out without heat lamps till at least 3 weeks old.
    Its 50 here during the day and around 30s at night. And thats too cold still for mine

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    Would that weather be Ok when they are 3 weeks old? It will be an average of about 55-60 in 2 more weeks though.

6. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    I change there pine shaving betting everyday- well I just add more on top. I can't believe how much they drink!!! I change there water 2-3 times day! My house is 70 degrees and they don't have a heat lamp, so in 2 more weeks they should be ok. Thank for all your help!!

7. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    It is crazy how much ducklings drink!!
    And oh yes by 3 weeks old i think they will be just fine with those temps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by