when can i put the chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elloyd, Jan 21, 2011.

1. elloyd

elloyd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    i have two chicks that i hatched out one the day after thanksgiveing that have been staying in my husbans shop with a 60 watt light on then so what i want to know is if i can move them to the grow out coop now because they are getting to big and are cramped in the brooder.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't know where "cottage grove" is, but by 8 weeks, they are fully feathered and can go outside.

3. elloyd

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    sorry its in oregon not to cold just alot of rain

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    They are probably old enough now, especially considering that it is not very cold in the Northwest now. You did not mention if they were going to be put in with other birds or not. I would discourage you from putting them in with other birds that a full grown. I suggest waiting until they are a minimum of 16 weeks old before integrating in with an existing flock.

5. eggy n nibbler

eggy n nibbler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    hey guys

i just put my baby chicks outside in a smaller enclosure to my old chooks they seem to like it the only thing they are scared off are all the different noises of birds and stuff outside one of the older chooks like the 2 younger ones which is great but i wont let them all in until they are older and they can defend themselves a lil better cos they are a bit smaller

em

6. elloyd

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    sorry i have a separate coop and pen that my husband made for my banties but they will not go back in it so i was useing it for the babys the last set that i had in it i got when they were old enough already to be outside

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You certainly don't need a light on them now and could at least put them outside during the day. Most likely they would be fine at night now, too.

8. elloyd

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    thank u for all your info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by