1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When Can I put these kids outside?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JAllender, Apr 19, 2012.

1. JAllender

JAllender Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    I have 11 "baby chick" who are 6-7 weeks old!! almost completely feathered... When can I move these kids outside! They are destroying my set up! haha :) I have a dishwasher bpx cut in half and shower curtain down and then pine shavings :) and screen on top :)

What do you guys do?! What is the norm?! :)

Let me know some of the ways you guys do it[​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    They are old enough to go outside. If you still have their heat lamp on I'd turn it iff for a few days to let them get used to not having it before kicking them to the coop. Mine got booted at four weeks but it's pretty warm here.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I have 14 "baby chicks" that are just over 7 weeks old. I have switched out their heat lamp for a lower wattage bulb in anticipation for moving them outside. I plan on doing that next week. I could probably do it now, but I'm a little of a worry wart and it's still gets into the low 40s at night. When I do move them out, I will let them keep their lamp for a while just to make sure they're ok.

4. JAllender

Mar 20, 2012
    Sounds like a weekend plan! :) The problem we have is introducing them into the older chickens.... So we set up a "dog kennel" next to the coop and so they can see each other etc... but cannot get to each other..... we leave it until they are about the same size and then mix them in....

So I think this weekend i will set up the dog kennel.... and get those suckers outside! :) They are starting to really get smelly... and I clean them EVERY DAY!

5. JAllender

Mar 20, 2012
    I just looked at your pic....thomaschicks -- Do you use wood pellets as bedding?! They don't eat it?!

Jen

6. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Yes they are wood pellets (pine I think). It's what they had with the chicks when I bought them so I got a big bag of it from the farm supply for less than 5 dollars. I did see the chicks occasionally pecking at them, but never saw them really eating it. They are all 7 weeks old now, really healthy and I never had an episode of "sticky butt."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by