1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I reintroduce my injured chicken to the flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DNord, Jun 27, 2011.

1. DNord

DNord New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Hi there! No emergency here, but my 10 week old Buff Orbington was attacked by a hawk the other day (we were only a few feet away when it happened!) She fought it off and only received a small cut on her breast. Imeadiatly we separated her from the rest, cleaned the wound with distilled water, applied neosporin, and treated her for shock. She's eating, drinking and poo'ing ok now, and I'm having a hard time relocating the wound myself, so my question is ofcourse, when can she rejoin the flock?
    Her cries of loneliness are breaking my heart, and her best friend out there keeps looking for her desperately.
    Thoughts? Suggestions?

-Daniel

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    if the wound is healed, then put her back, best at night when they are roosting, no one will notice her showing up again. I had a sick hen who was separted for two weeks, when I put her back with the others they all attacked her, it lasted for a week, I have since learned here to do it at night, stops all the fussing over whos the boss

3. DNord

DNord New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    How long in general does it take a wound to heal? She was attacked on June 26th. It wasn't a serious cut either (I think), only like a 1/2 teaspoon of blood maybe less. It was hard to tell after we used the water to wash it out.
    To be honest, I'm a bit more worried about her beating up the rest if they pick on her. She's the smallest of the bunch, but she's a fighter. After the scrap her talons and beak were covered in blood but she had no other wounds! That hawk will definitely think twice before coming back!
    Thanks for your help,
    -Daniel

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    but keep an eye on her for the first few days to make sure no one is pecking her wound, that can become a real problem real fast. hens are attracted to blood(red) and can kill a fellow flock mate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by