When can I remove the heat lamp from the brooder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cloey011, Apr 13, 2016.

1. cloey011

cloey011 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    Hi everyone, my chicks are 4 weeks old now and doing very well, growing very fast!
    They're still in the brooder in my upstairs spare room.
    I didn't purchase a temp reader[​IMG] So I can't tell the exact temp in the brooder, all I know is that it feels like 90 degrees up there, I have a wood burning stove and the upstairs rooms get very warm. I think that with the heat lamp on they might be to hot. I turned it off tonight, first time in the dark for them, I hear them doing a lot of complaining up there, could that mean that they're cold? I don't know if I should still keep it on even thought the temperature in the room is very warm, any thoughts?

2. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Chicks will regulate their temp by going under the light or spreading out as far from the light as possible.

If they are all cuddled up then they are not warm enough and if they are all spread out away from under the heat light than they are too hot.

Peeping could mean that they are too cold but it sounds like they are pretty warm in that room.

The real indicator is if they are cuddling or not.

A good idea is to put the heat light on one end of the pen and nothing on the other so that it is obvious if they are too hot or too cold.

2 people like this.
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Yes remove the heat lamp and if it would make you feel better put a 40 w bulb on them for security .

4. cloey011

Mar 30, 2016
    I went up there and they're just laying there sleeping, 5 are together and one is on her own on the other side of the pen, what ever that means, maybe she's mad at them[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Its highly likely that your chicks were complaining last night simply because they do not like change - they are creatures of habit. Since they did sleep, and one chick was on its own, its likely that they are now fine. In fact, at this age, they are ready to begin being acclimatised to the outdoors, in preparation for going to the coop.

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would be good though to have some type of thermometer in the brooder when they first go into it. I've gotten hygrometers from Walmart that tell temp. & humidity - they aren't 100% accurate but, they give you a good idea.

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already been given some good advice so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

9. cloey011

Mar 30, 2016
    Thank you for all the great advise, they did fine through the night. The temps here in ct will climb up to low 70s on Sunday, I'll bring them out for a little while.
    So glad to have joined this site, and soooo glad to have added a chicken flock to my small backyard organic farm!!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by