When can I remove the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gg706, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have 16 chicks of different breeds Wyandottes, Orpington, and Araucanas all aged 5 weeks old. I live in Georgia our weather is rainy for several days here with night lows in low 50's. They have been outside in their coop for a week. Their coop has 2 levels but I have confined them to one level as the heat lamp is hung in the hole going to the second level. It is roughly 3 half by 3 feet with 2 small windows covered in hardware mesh. Can I remove the heat lamp all together? Raising the lamp isn't an option as the lamp is then too close to the wood and I am worried about a fire. Would they get too cold??

2. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    well you can start dropping the temperature by switching to a lower watt light bulb by now for sure. You failed to mention how strong your light is. so maybe a 100 watt incandlecent bulb is in order now.
    I wait until they are fully feathered in and loose all fluff before I wean mine totally off. On warm days you can start turning it off and watching the chicks behavior if they stay in a huddle all the time they need some more heat. if they scatter out and eat and go about life normally then they are fine.

3. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank You, I will get another bulb today.

4. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Hey girl,

My babies are 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 weeks old and I started weening them off a week and a half ago .. they are currently in their coop and we have gotten in the 30's ... last night I just had a gut feeling to throw a heat lamp in their as it is not getting warmer than 40 over the next few days and it will be 30 tonight. [​IMG]

Better safe than sorry! These birds haven't has supplemental heat for over 10 days with temps ranging from 75 down to 40 ... until last night...

Have you seen my new pics? [​IMG]

5. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    HEY TS! Yeah I agree, better safe than sorry! I just had a horrible gut feeling last night about the lamp starting a fire...Thank God it didn't happen! No I haven't seen your new pics...I will go check them out! [​IMG] Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by