1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I start adding treats ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donaltman3, Apr 13, 2017.

1. donaltman3

donaltman3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Valdosta, GA
    Not seeing when I can start adding treats? I have some very young chicks in their brooder and I was thinking about putting some weeds I pulled for them just for an activity. I also had a couple of raw end pieces from a carrot and a bell pepper after last nights dinner I thought they might like, but I was hesitant to give it to them yet. They are almost a week old... I actually suspect one or two of my 4 to be older than a week because they look more developed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You may feed treats at any time. I feed my new chicks meal worms before their first week is out.

However, if you feed anything other than chick starter, the exception is boiled egg, you will need to supply grit for digestion.

Just for your information, chicks will be very slow to get excited over new foods, except meal worms, which is in their DNA to get excited over. Chicks also don't have very strong beaks at this stage and benefit from having their food processed into small bits.

But try the meal worms. The entertainment value alone is worth the cost of buying some.

3. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    I would exercise caution its important that you start out with soft and small like thy crumbles of bread after at least a month old in my opinion

4. donaltman3

Mar 29, 2017
    Valdosta, GA
    perfect.. the weeds were like clover and stuff growing in my garden that I just hand pulled.. and the carrot I could always take that little end peice and grate a few slivers just for them to see it...

Would it help to put the treat inside on the little feeder I am using so they might associate it as food?

5. donaltman3

Mar 29, 2017
    Valdosta, GA
    Alright... I am in no rush.. I just didn't want them to become overly bored and start pecking at each other.... Also thought if I could give them a little more variety it might help them out in the long run health wise.. maybe not.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The only two concerns in feeding treats early are making sure the chicks get the majority of their calories from their chick crumbles and making sure they have grit.

If you'll scroll down to my signature line and click on the article about aggressive chicks, I offer some tips in preventing brooder boredom. You may also introduce a tub of sand for the chicks to practice dirt bathing in, and it also substitutes as grit. Perches and blocks to climb on also add interest and playing "king of the hill" is a popular game for baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by