When can I start asking?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Autumn Leaves, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Hi all, my Orphingtons are 4 weeks old now and I really want to know who are the boys and girls! Only 1 or 2 roos get to stay, and they is going to my SIL. My husband and I have a game where daily we go - thats a roo, no, never mind lol. I read a post on the Internet showing feathering patterns in Orphingtons as they grow. From those posts I can pick out at least 2 boys and 2 girls. The rest are a mystery to me.

Good news is I was able to turn off the brooder lamp last night and they did great. They are in a pool in my laundry room which was sitting at 75F so they are plenty warm.

So, can I take some pictures next week and have everyone take some fun guesses? Or should a wait a bit?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    People around here ask pretty early. Since they're all the same age, breed and variety it is a lot easier. With Orpingtons at this age, you may be able to compare legs. The boys will be thicker and longer. It's probably early to see cock feathering. Combs may be showing soon.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You an post now or a week from now - and we may be able to give some feed back - but generally 6+ weeks is best and even then you will often get feedback on some that you need to wait for 10+ weeks. That being said, we never get tired of looking at chickens around here, so post now and a week from now and at 6+ and 10+ weeks, lol.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

6. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    thanks everyone. Ill get out the good camera and snap some shots just to cure the baby chicken fever :)

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X3

Love your avatar!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by