when can I start giving chicks treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lisa202, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I have been reading so much, but still don't know the right thing to do...

when can I start giving my baby bantams treats? They are 8 days old today. I started giving them yogurt when they were 3 days old, but then I read that I was supposed to wait...so I haven't given them any since (even though they really loved it and peck at our fingers hoping to find some)

And if I can start now, can I give treats everyday or every couple of days? I have read the treats chart but it doesn't mention age.

Thanks!!!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Most people say no treats, and that it will mess up the balance with their feed. I, personally, do not think it does any harm. Cooked eggs are good for them. You can feed some oatmeal cooked or dry. But I would say to limit treats though, so every couple of days is a good idea [​IMG]

3. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    If you give them treats, be sure that they have grit if they need it. For oatmeal, greens, anything that would require chewing if they had teeth - they need grit. I take some of my hens' grit, put it on a rock (or the metal frame of the DH's log splitter!) and tap it with a heavy hammer to break it into smaller bits. YOu don't have to tap very hard, it breaks easily. Also if you hit hard, it flies all over and you don't have any left!

Some people mention using parakeet grit, as it's tiny...but if you read the ingredients, it contains calcium, which you don't want to give your babies. YOu might find chick grit at your local farm store, but for bantams you might need to make it smaller anyway, so I'd just use what you already have.

I'm not certain about chickens, but the rule of thumb for dogs and cats is that treats should not make up more than ten percent of the total diet. After they are a week or two old, I do give my chicks treats, but stick to soft ones, like yogurt and oatmeal and egg. I am not, however a hugely experienced chicken person, expecting my third flock tomorrow, so if someone with more experience tells you differently, better listen to them, not me!

Good luck with your babies!

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Fruit is always good.Soft,sweet and doesn't require grit Mine love cantalope, watermelon, grapes, plums, peaches and bananas

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    hensonly - D'OH!
    thanks for the hint on crushing the Big Girl grit

I've been unable to find chick grit at my feedstores & was worrid my little gals were missing it.
    They do get some "freerange" time in a small pen I made out on the lawn - a kind of immobile chick tractor - so I imagine they are eating some dirt, etc

I'll be taking my hammer out to the coop this morning:D

Lisa - at almost 1mo old my little chicks don't seem very interested in any treat except the greens I give them. Yogurt and scrambled eggs just get walked on even when I sprinkle their crumbles on top. A raspberry I put in their coop got played with then discarded. I guess when they're older they may feel differently.
    My adult hens are treat hogs - they come running when I shake their scratch bucket.
    they run funny...[​IMG]

6. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I give mine treats after 3 days old and always provide grit. I can't seem to find chick grit any more locally so I also thank for the post about making the big grit smaller for the chicks. My babies love peaches and catalope and watermelon and scratch grain, but I don't give them a lot of it, just a few bites each if they want it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by