When can I start giving the chicks an occassional treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by donnap1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    This is my first time raising chicks. They are currently almost 2 weeks old. Right now I am giving them just their chick feed.

At what age can you start to introduce treats into a chicks diet?

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I'm not really sure, but mine that are 1-2 weeks old LOVE mealworms, and my afternoon entertainment is to feed them a few and watch the chasing and tug-of-war that ensues. Beats TV anytime.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    little peices of lettuce. mine got nut's chasing each other trying to get it.

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    So it's ok to give a treat at 1-2 weeks old?

5. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    If they were with mom, they'd be chasing bugs and eating bits of grass and weeds, so limited quantities should be fine for them.

6. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Mine are 2 weeks old yersterday. And i gave them 2 chopped up boiled eggs.... and boy oh boy did they have a field day with them so yersterday I gave them a little bit of sand and they tore it up!!!! I have 18 babies [​IMG]

7. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    I planted wheat in a planter box and when it was an inch or two trimmed it and gave the trimmings to my 2-week olds and they loved it. After another week I cut the wheat sod and gave them the sod piece and they loved scratching in the dirt to get to the seed part. Now they are 5+ weeks and are crazy about the Lacinato kale leaves I give them. I am careful to make it a treat and not feed too much of it. Didtto for Swiss chard: they love it!

8. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are 5 days old & I put wheat heads in a pile they are green with a few small leaves . they love to pick & play with it I think it is just something to to get them off the roost & play [​IMG]

9. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Mine are 7 weeks old. I bought some oatmeal off the clearance bin at our local grocery store for 50 cents, yes a huge tub of oatmeal for 50 cents! I mixed the oatmeal in with their feed, and man did I have a feeding frenzy! They went after that oatmeal like crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by