when can I start giving treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kaybats, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I just found out yesterday, thanks to this site, that chickens can have treats like vegetables, bread, etc. My chicks are just over 13 weeks old and have only been fed crumbles. Can I start giving them treats? Do I need to chop everything really tiny like the crumbles so they don't choke? Are there any vegetables they shouldn't have? How often can they have treats? I always have an abundance of salad fixins and can't wait to share some with my babies. I don't know why I was so surprised to see bread on the list! I'm always tossing bread out for the neighborhood birds....I can never eat it all before it starts to go a bit stale. Oh, and what about popcorn...would that be OK.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have given mine everything you mention, along with most anything else I eat, other than really fatty or salty food, or pure sugar, or chocolate. The trouble with bread is they like it too well! They would fill up on it if you let them, and it's not very nourishing. But it does make a great bribe. They have no taste receptors for capsaicin, so if you have leftover hot (spicy) foods, even they are fine.

You will read various opinions on here about when to give treats, but few people would wait 13 weeks. The only issue, really, is making sure they still have a balanced diet, not overdoing the quantity.

Here is the BYC treats chart (from the learning center:)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Its time for treats,my new chicks are at 7weeks and give them treats all the time.Watermelon, lettuce bread,and what have you. I wouldn't worry about cutting it up,I think the larger the better becuase they will tear of with their beak versus cutting into small portions they are more apt to try to swallow something whole. I know raw potato skins and avacadoes are on the do not feed list to "any" chickens for reasons I can't remember this early am. Get them out in the yard too if you have not already,grass,bugs and worms are their favorite treat. As far as frequency of treats,don't go by me because I am very guilty of spoiling my older girls just about everyday to the point of chaos when I approach the run. Treats are also a good way to train them,when I am trying to round up the ole girls I will throw treats into the run and they all come running. Don't like them wandering around the yard when I am not around due to land and air predators.Good luck and be careful of this addicting hobby.[​IMG]

4. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks so much for the link! And I had no idea they could have such a variety.....I am a "spoiler" as well. My dogs get a home cooked meal at least twice a week....

Being a spoiler, I want to be sure I'm not going to go overboard or give them something that could harm them. I love my girls.

You guys are the best!

5. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    Here's a link to a short video of our chickens enjoying some treats - namely - corn on the cob, tomatoes and a plum.

They've never seen a plum before, but they're prepared to eat pretty much anything I give them.

As you will see. They attack the treats with some gusto!! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by