When can I stop feeding med. chick starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sylviaanne, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have been feeding my babies medicated chick starter but it is getting very expensive to buy chick starter and layer crumbles.

This time I bought 4 bags of scratch grain and a side bag of oyster shell grit. I didn't look up what everyone said to buy before we left and when we went round the side to pick up the food, a man was picking up flock grower and I remembered that was what someone said to get. Problem is the bags he got also said crumbles on it.

Without you being able to see the bags, what is your best guess: did that flock grower crumbles contain calcium?

Is the scratch grain I bought totally the wrong thing for my adolescent and adult chickens?

At what age is it safe to stop feeding medicated chick starter to my chicks? I want to switch them to the adult food that doesn't contain the calcium and put the oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.

I forgot to add that they do forage during the day and they are all ages up to 2 1/2 years old.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are your chicks? If they are older than six weeks, they can eat a grower feed or general flock raiser feed. If they are older than 15 weeks, they all can eat layer feed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Other than the chick that hatched yesterday, my youngest chicks are 3 weeks old today. The next youngest turned 6 weeks yesterday. These chicks and the ones next oldest are here in the house in totes. All of the older ones are outside and the youngest out there I just released from their cage yesterday.

The oldest chicks I hatched this year will be 15 weeks on the 22nd. That is old enough for layer feed but I have already bought the scratch grains and oyster shell. They will be ok on that, plus foraging, won't they?

4. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

I am fairly certain that scratch grains is not an adequate feed. It is a treat and does not have the necessary protein for a healthy flock, regardless of age. YOu may wanna check the tag on the bag for the protein percentage.

I know several people that feed their chics, pullets, and layers a flock raiser / grower feed. (All the same feed) and make oyster shell available to anybody laying.

5. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    You are correct. That is what comes from trusting someone working in the feed store. It only has 7% protein. I won't trust them again. She even said she has chickens and horses. She made a point of stating that this stuff has protein in it but I didn't think to look at how much protein.

The chickens outside will have to live with it since I can't afford more food right now but they forage and can get more protein if they want it and I have the oyster shell for them.

For the babies inside, we did buy more chick starter.

I am relieved that all the chicks older than 6 weeks can live on this stuff outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by