When can I take chicks from Mama Hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ky chicks, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    After 2 failed hatches at my kids' school, I brought home the incubator to get it figured out for next year. I hatched 5 chicks, then I was lucky enough to have a broody who was happy to adopt them. I don't really need 5 more chickens, and someone just yesterday asked me if I had any I would be willing to part with--they are almost finished with a new coop and don't have any chickens yet. So, at what age can I take the chicks from their mama? They are about 4 weeks old now. I was considering giving her the mama hen as well, along with one or two other laying hens. This would make room for me to get a few new chickies next year, too!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

As soon as they are dry. [​IMG]

I have taken them at all different ages...hours old, days old, weeks old.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Agreed. Whenever it is convenient for you.

4. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I know the chicks will be fine, but how about the hen? Will she freak out looking for them, or will she just forget it and start laying again? Worst of all, might she go broody again if she's not ready to give them up?

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    She will be fine, she might cluck alot for the first few days and settle back in her own routine.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    At four weeks they are getting close to being "kicked out of the nest" by the hen on her own, anyway. My three hens all started pecking their own chicks away right around five weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by