When Can I Take Chicks From Mother Hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akatennant, Apr 7, 2011.

1. akatennant

akatennant New Egg

Apr 7, 2011
    I have a Cochin that hatched two chicks. They are a week old and I'm ready to get her sitting on some eggs again. How long before I take the chicks from her? I have a friend that wants them. Also, how long before she'll sit again?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Normally, a momma hen will be a momma for about 8 weeks when she will shoo the chicks away. Then she'll start laying eggs again to start a new clutch. When she decides she has enough eggs, sh will set again. You casn take the chicks from her, but it is better to keep them with her. Also, b/c you will need to provide a heat lamp etc, whereas momma can keep them warm by herself. Ifyou dodecide to take them, it will still take her a while before she starts laying again.

[​IMG]

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Please leave them with her for a couple of weeks more, at LEAST... she worked very hard to lay and hatch them... she's not just an incubator.
    She will become broody when she becomes broody... they are all different. Some of mine will become broody just once a season and others will be broody 3-4 times a season... but I do always leet them raise and release the babies on their own timing.
    Good luck to you AND your friend! [​IMG]
    ... and [​IMG]

4. akatennant

akatennant New Egg

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I didn't feel right about taking the chicks away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by