When can I trim my chicks feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dionna77, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Dionna77

Dionna77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    I have 3 chicks that are starting to fly and I was wondering how I can stop this. I heard that you can trim their feathers on one side and that will stop them from flying. Is this true if any one has any ideas please let me know. I am just a little nervous about trimming their feathers I don't want to hurt them.

Thanks,
    Dionna

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. betchern0t

betchern0t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Clipping their wings will stop them. Possibly not PC up here. But this is how. Think of an old fashioned ink quill pen. These were made from the flight feathers of a large bird.

Gently spread one wing of the chook. Down the back edge you will see the large flight feathers. With sharp scissors cut 1/4 to 1/2 of the bit of each of the flight feathers sticking beyond the small feathers covering the wing. You dont have to do each singly. With big enough scisors you could do the lot in one snip. You may or may not have to repeat when they grow back.

If you do it right and Heep to the outer half then only their dignity will be harmed. Just like snipping fingernails. No hassle if you keep away from the flesh.

Cheers paul

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How old are your chicks?
    If they're still pretty young, they're just going to molt those clipped feathers and be flying again in no time.
    I've resorted to clipping a wing in the past, the birds just flapped harder and still cleared the fence.
    If your chicks are in a brooder and are flying out, you need a top. If they're in a run, you need a taller fence (and possibly still a top).
    What I'm saying is, clipping their wings may solve your problem. Or it may not.
    Good luck :)

5. Dionna77

Mar 1, 2015
    howfunkyisurchicken
    thanks for the input:) So do you think it is even worth clipping their wings then?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How tall is the fence you're trying to contain them in?

7. Dionna77

Mar 1, 2015
    Right now it is fine now they are still inside but i worried when I move them to outside in their coop. Thats why i wondered.

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Just raise heavy breed like bielefelder or english orpington and they don't fly.

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My month and a half old chicks can fly about 5' high. Usually by the time they're full grown they've gained enough weight they can't top the 6' fence of the layer pen but I have a few lighter weight game/RIR mixes I have to clip to keep them in. I usually do 1 wing but sometimes I have to clip both wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by