When can I try to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michiganlarry, Apr 15, 2009.

1. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I put the eggs in the bator at 6am on the 11th. They are all Welsummer eggs. When do you all think I can candle them?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    This coming Saturday would be the earliest I would. But I prefer to wait until day 10 or later to candle mine, especialy brown eggs, you can just see them better.

3. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Welsummers are usually pretty dark brown, right? You can *try* to candle, but you probably won't see much due to the shell color. As for when... that's a toss up. Since this is your first bunch and they are the Welsummers... I'd say just pass on candling. But if you absolutely can't stand the wait (trust me, I know!), attempt it on Day 12. You'll hopefully at least be able to see which ones have a dark mass in them (growing chicks), and which ones are possibly infertile (a lot more light will pass through and you won't see any dark masses).

4. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    The eggs are pretty dark. Some came from a BYC member some from fleabay. I am usually pretty patient but I really really want to know if they are developing. I am going to wait. Thanks for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by